[Standards] [Operators] Future of XMPP Re: The Google issue

Matthew Wild mwild1 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 22:22:17 UTC 2013

On 4 December 2013 22:09, Alexander Holler <holler at ahsoftware.de> wrote:
> But the first hurdle everyone who wants to receive (and understand) XMPP
> messages is to get some XMPP-parser on the start and modify it such, that it
> can handle XMPP-streams. And that already does cost a lot of time. And I
> think most people don't have much interest in writing their own XML-parser,
> if all they want to do is to send and receive some messages.

It is a myth that XMPP requires custom parsers. Prosody uses a
completely unmodified Expat - any SAX parser should work just fine for
XMPP, and most languages and environments have one available.

Expat is pure C, small, pretty fast (but not as fast as others),
compliant, well-tested and compiles and runs on just about any
platform.

The one issue we had was that the Lua binding to expat did not
originally expose a function in expat's API required for us to
mitigate the billion laughs attack, but even that wasn't an issue with
Expat itself.

Regards,
Matthew