[Standards] BOSH patches

Christian Schudt christian.schudt at gmx.de
Tue Dec 10 22:06:13 UTC 2013

Hi,

I am new to this mailing list.

I have been trying to implement BOSH in Java (client side) on basis of draft 1.10.

I think the document is quite understandable.

However, I ran into the following issues:
- I did not understand the HTTP pipelining stuff, which is now removed :)
- The 'rid' and 'ack' attribute are marked as "positiveInteger" in the XSD. However, in Java, you need type "long" to represent the largest number (2^53-1). I think this should be changed to "unsignedLong". (integer is only 32-bit in XSD).
- "The client MUST generate a large, random, positive integer for the initial 'rid'": What is large? Is there a minimum? And should be "positive long".
- The from attribute. I think it should be: "it MUST forward the identity to the client by including a 'from' attribute in a response" (instead of MAY), because the core spec says:
"For response stream headers in both client-to-server and server-to-server communication, the receiving entity MUST include the 'from' attribute"
(http://xmpp.org/rfcs/rfc6120.html#streams-attr-from)
… just to be conform.
- The sentence "The client SHOULD NOT open more than two HTTP connections to the connection manager at the same time" confused me, because the document also said the number is defined by the "requests" attribute. But this sentence is now gone in 1.11.

In the 1.11 version I don't really understand the diagram under point 4. Too many "empty" bodies.
- What is the left side and the right side?
- From "X" to "*" is one HTTP request? Then why is there a long time no request (but many pipes |)?

Kind regards,
Christian