[Standards] XEP-280 and MUC private chats

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Tue Jul 16 19:02:36 UTC 2013

On 7/14/13 1:13 PM, Mathieu Pasquet wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 05:36:51PM +0100, Kevin Smith wrote:
>> On Sun, Jun 9, 2013 at 7:40 PM, Mathieu Pasquet <mathieui at mathieui.net> wrote:
>>> I was starting to implement carbons in poezio when I came across some
>>> kind of design issue that I haven’t been able to work out.
>>>
>>> As I understand it (and in the use case explained in the introduction),
>>> Carbons provide a way to minimize the nuisance of changing devices, by
>>> providing all the messages with 'chat' type to all the carbon-enabled
>>> clients.
>>>
>>> The requirements also state that “All clients that turn on the new
>>> protocol MUST be able to see all inbound chat-type messages”.
>>>
>>> However, in the case of private MUC messages (XEP-0045, 7.5), the
>>> messages are also of type 'chat', causing them to be forwarded as normal
>>> chat messages. But the other resources are not necessarily present on
>>> that MUC, so they will receive the messages just fine, as with any
>>> direct conversation with a fulljid, but they won’t be able to reply,
>>> because I believe most MUC implementations will check the fulljid and
>>> reply with an error.
>>>
>>> I can’t think of a straightforward solution to this issue, as the server
>>> doesn’t know about MUC, neither does the other resource.
>>>
>>> On the sender part, it might be solved by including a <private/> with
>>> each message sent through such chats, but on the receiving part, AFAIK
>>> there is no way to distinguish those.
>>>
>>> I think the XEP should cover that case, because it is rather common to
>>> have private conversations with people in a groupchat, and letting
>>> clients guess how they should handle the message is very error-prone.
>>
>> Could you disco any unknown JIDs to see if they're users or MUCs?
>>
>> /K
>
> Yeah, that’s what I went with (I had forgotten about it at the moment of
> writing that email).
>
> I think the XEP should indicate such a behavior, as a client developer
> might forget about this case.

Sounds like a positive addition. It would be good to advance this spec
to Draft sometime. Do you have any other feedback?

> Or even better, maybe the server could perform that disco, although I
> get that making changes to already-deployed implementations might be
> painful.

How would it work for the server to perform service discovery on your
behalf? (BTW, you don't need to send the disco request if you're using
entity capabilities / XEP-0115.)

https://stpeter.im/