[Standards] When is it ok to query for CSN support?

Adán Sánchez de Pedro Crespo adansdpc at waalt.com
Wed Jul 24 10:26:58 UTC 2013

Hello everyone,

I hope this is the proper mailing list for asking about standards
implementation. If not, please tell me where to reach instead.

I'm currently developing Loqui, a open source XMPP client app for
FirefoxOS and the web. It formerly supported Chat State Notifications,
but determined support by using the "business rules" in XEP-0085 5.1

Nevertheless, the XEP stands that the preferred way to determine support
for CSN is by using 'Service Discovery' or 'Entity Capabilities' extensions.

So my question is:
When is it ok to perform that disco/caps queries? Should I query
everyone in my roster upon logged in? Or should I query just one user
once I open a chat window? How long may I cache the result of the query?

What's more: though not said in XEP-0085, I think CSN support is clearly
resource-based. Should I query every available resource from a user and
then obey the one with the highest priority value?

Maybe those were too many questions... so thanks in advance :)

-- *Adán Sánchez de Pedro Crespo* /FLOSS Developer at Waaltcom/ PGP
Public Key: CCABF8A0 Cel.: +34 663 163 375 Fix.: +34 912 69 22 00 PLN:
+00 4200 VoIP: 201 at sip.waalt.com