[Standards] UPDATED: XEP-0322 (Efficient XML Interchange (EXI) Format)

Peter Waher Peter.Waher at clayster.com
Fri Jul 26 21:35:05 UTC 2013

Hello Spencer

Thanks for your reply.

Regarding naming conventions, I can see various XEPS with different formats. Even though many use the format you describe, not all do so. A recent example which is in Draft is XEP-0258: Security Labels in XMPP. They use a third naming convention (securitylabel, displaymarking, esssecuritylabel, etc.). You can find other examples throughout, like vCard, defaultnick, you have the famous pubsub, and others.

What I can see, there's nothing in XEP-0001 defining naming conventions either.

Hyphens in - in xml is permitted, but some consider it a nuisance. It creates problems when creating expressions, either limiting expressions (XPATH for instance) or limiting access to content in XML through quick expressions. Some prefer Pascal casing for elements, camel casing for attributes, some have other preferences. Yet still others, prefer the use of hyphens, perhaps for readability.

If the XSF thinks this is an important topic, it would be good to create naming standards that should be followed by new XEPs. However, it would be difficult to explain the numerous XEPs that don't follow such a standard.

Sincerely,
Peter Waher