[Standards] deprecating in-band registration

Tomasz Sterna tomek at xiaoka.com
Wed Apr 2 07:36:16 UTC 2014

Dnia 2014-04-01, wto o godzinie 21:01 -0600, Peter Saint-Andre pisze:
> I suggest that we push this line of thinking to its logical conclusion
> and strongly consider deprecating and then obsoleting IBR. [...]
> If we feel that we'd like to have some kind of method for account
> provisioning over XMPP - and I'm not convinced that we do - then I
> feel that we need to rethink the whole problem, [...]

We have this notion of obsoleting existing protocols without providing
alternatives.
People do not like this approach and I've been defending XMPP over the
years, but to this, I have no answer.
Hell... I don't like this approach.

IMO the correct order is:
1. Do we want to obsolete IBB or maybe fix its issues?
2. If we want to obsolete, we need to design its replacement.
   It's easy now, since we identified its deficiencies in 1.
3. Propose replacement for IBB and test-drive it.
4. Obsolete IBB.

--
Tomasz Sterna @ http://abadcafe.pl/ @ http://www.xiaoka.com/