[Standards] server IP check (XEP-0279)

Genghis Khan genghiskhan at gmx.ca
Sat Apr 19 06:14:19 UTC 2014

On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 09:19:36 +0400
Evgeny Khramtsov <xramtsov at gmail.com> wrote:

> Wed, 16 Apr 2014 17:56:07 -0600
> Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:
>
> > XEP-0279 defines a simple XMPP extension that enables a client to
> > discover its external IP address from its server. This feature can
> > help a client discover if it's behind a NAT and thus trigger things
> > like STUN lookups. I'd like to ask the XMPP Council to issue a Last
> > Call on XEP-0279, but I'd also like to know if there any
> > implementations of this extension in clients or servers.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Peter
> >

> There is trivial mod_sic module in ejabberd.
> However, I still vote to Reject the XEP for the reason I did that
> years ago.

May you post a link to it?

Subjected to a warning, I think this feature would be useful for
trusted peers by sharing each one's current IP address with an other
peer for the purpose of having a backup mean of communication, in case
an XMPP server is not functioning properly, though DHT is much
preferable for the reason I wrote above. See http://telehash.org/

There is a Qt3 VoIP project called I Hear U which is a server-less
IP-to-IP telephone http://ihu.sourceforge.net/

An interview by Francis Irving with Jeremie Miller about TeleHash:
http://redecentralize.org/interviews/2013/10/17/07-jeremie-telehash.html