[Standards] Using XMPP In A Mobile Environment

Ivan Vučica ivan at vucica.net
Fri Feb 13 15:14:27 UTC 2015

On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 6:12 PM, Florian Schmaus <flo at geekplace.eu> wrote:

> >> Let's start by classifying inbound stanzas into three types. There are
> >> stanza that…
> >> 1. require immediate delivery
> > Even those stanzas can be slightly deferred and be bundled, I believe.
> > Just the interval will be much thicker, and still it can reduce number
> > of necessary wakes up.
>
> I'm not sure about that, Even if you defer all messages for only 30
> seconds, realtime (chat) communication would become a pain. And there is
> also little gain in that. I guess that only if your defer interval is
> something > 15 minutes you will see a measurable positive effect on the
> battery consumption.

Let's not forget that iOS gets into a violent mood in case your background
app wakes up more frequently than 15 times in 300 seconds. Message in the
log is, quite literally, "exceeded 15 wakes in 300 sec".

This matters only if the app is in background (including if the phone is
off). And there will probably be little or no consequences if the delivery
of second message in a row is delayed by 20-30 sec, or until the user
unlocks the screen and the client 'permits' the delivery, right?