[Standards] Using XMPP In A Mobile Environment

Brian Cully bcully at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 20:51:09 UTC 2015

> On 13-Feb-2015, at 13:50, Ivan Vučica <ivan at vucica.net> wrote:
> So the clients with the most enjoyable experience typically open a connection from the developer's servers, and deliver notifications over APNS. Should that continue to be true?

	Speaking personally, absolutely not. I can’t use current iOS XMPP clients because I’m worried about the data security of this model, and at a previous job we specifically told people not to for the same reason. There are clients that do not connect to a developer’s server, but none that I’ve found except one (Bria w/ the XMPP IAP) will maintain a connection for more than a few minutes with the app in the background.

	I believe you can use the VoIP class of background applications, as you’ve mentioned, to do this, but as yet I’ve not seen this become popular.

	Another option which has occurred to me is using BOSH to handle this scenario; you can wake up the app w/i the BOSH timeout window without having it killed by the OS (assuming your window is larger than a few seconds). I’ve not really investigated this as I don’t think it’s an optimal solution in any way, merely something that might work if nothing else does.

-bjc