[Standards] Using XMPP In A Mobile Environment

Sergey Dobrov binary at jrudevels.org
Wed Feb 18 09:14:16 UTC 2015

Hi Dave,

I've looked through the XEP and it seems to be quite wise to me still.

The problem is that I've not written anything for mobile too and don't
know the details, but this article seems to be pretty good for me:
http://developer.android.com/training/efficient-downloads/efficient-network-access.html

And also it seems to me that it's actually possible to know when the
network is going to high power state so we can transmit data as
efficient as we could sharing connection with other apps when possible:
http://developer.android.com/reference/android/net/ConnectivityManager.html

But it could be cool if anyone could confirm that I understood this
correctly :)

I also have no any idea about iOS but I suspect that the capabilities
should be very similar?

So, generally, I'd leave XEP-0286 as is because it only has
recommendations (which don't even say how server can know if the client
is mobile or not?) inside and they seem to be still actual. But if we
negotiate anything new, I'll try to prepare update to the XEP also.

Thanks.

--
With best regards,
Sergey Dobrov,