[Standards] Using XMPP In A Mobile Environment

Florian Schmaus flo at geekplace.eu
Sun Feb 22 10:22:07 UTC 2015

On 18.02.2015 10:14, Sergey Dobrov wrote:
> The problem is that I've not written anything for mobile too and don't
> know the details, but this article seems to be pretty good for me:
> http://developer.android.com/training/efficient-downloads/efficient-network-access.html
>
> And also it seems to me that it's actually possible to know when the
> network is going to high power state so we can transmit data as
> efficient as we could sharing connection with other apps when possible:
> http://developer.android.com/reference/android/net/ConnectivityManager.html

Ahh, thanks for pointing this out. Once again the Android documentation
is not very clear, but it looks like
ConnectivityManager.isDefaultNetworkActive() could be used to query the
GSM radio state.

> But it could be cool if anyone could confirm that I understood this
> correctly :)

I'll dig into the Android source once I find the time. Not sure when
this will be, but it's a top priority item on my TODO list.

What I did in the last few days is adding *experimental* support for
client-side "bundle and defer| in Smack and made MAXS's "Transport XMPP"
use of those nice Android API 21 features together with the new Smack API.

- Florian