[Standards] Request HTTP upload slots over XMPP

Peter Waher Peter.Waher at clayster.com
Wed Jul 1 13:27:11 UTC 2015

Hello Edwin

> So, you're suggesting an in-band transfer mechanism for out-of-band data transfers?  That sounds a bit wasteful to me.

XEP-0332 allows the client and server to use different methods based on your requirements and capabilites. It supports both chunked transfer, as well as file transfer, in-band byte streams and Jingle. If out-of-band transfer is necessary for bandwidth requirements, I suggest the Jingle transfer method.

An in-band method, or a properly negotiated P2P method out-of-band, would handle the case where the server resides behind a firewall, like the case where you have your own personal credit-card sized server (RaspberryPi2, Cubieboard, Tonido, etc.) at home, behind the firewall. You can still access content over XMPP, and in web clients that understand the proposed httpx URI scheme.

Best regards,

Peter Waher