[Standards] XEP-0234 Jingle File Transfer 0.16

Emmanuel Gil Peyrot linkmauve at linkmauve.fr
Mon Jul 13 23:12:10 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 10:41:28PM +0200, Yann Leboulanger wrote:
> But the way things are done is a bit strange. The feature was available and
> working.
> Removing a few lines in a XEP makes features no more available and another
> depending XEP no more implementable and we now need to create another XEP to
> workaround that.

XEP-0234 is an Experimental XEP, and as such was likely to get some
breaking changes before its promotion to the next state.  To quote
XEP-0001, §9.1, “Note: An Experimental specification is a work in
progress and may undergo significant modification before advancing to a
status of Draft.”

I do welcome that change, as it makes the XEP a lot simpler to
implement fully, and putting the removed features in some other XEP
doesn’t remove any usability from the clients which do implement it.

--
Emmanuel Gil Peyrot