[Standards] Initial thoughts on Raft over XMPP

Matthew Wild mwild1 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 15:39:48 UTC 2015

Hi Peter,

On 20 July 2015 at 10:11, Peter Membrey <peter at membrey.hk> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> As the subject suggests, I'm really interested in using the Raft consensus protocol over XMPP. I'll give you some background on the project I'm working on, some info on Raft and will then try to explain why I think XMPP is a great choice for transporting the raft data. It's the first time I've considered working on an XEP, so any constructive or critical feedback will truly be welcome! Also, thanks in advance for taking the time to read through all this.

> I am already working on a prototype to let me do this using custom <message/> stanzas. It would be easy enough to do this as 'chat' and place the payload in <body/>, but because the data fits structured XML so nicely, it just seemed plain wrong to overload 'chat'.
>
> So, as I'm probably going to have to do this work anyway, I wanted to get in touch with the community and see whether or not it thinks this would be a suitable case for an XEP. To be clear, I'm not suggesting we implement Raft itself in XMPP, but merely define a mechanism for transporting Raft messages within a cluster. I'm very happy to do the leg work and I'll certainly take on board all feedback that I get. If the overall vibe is positive, I'll start putting together a proto-XEP for submission to the XEP Editor.

This sounds great, definitely something I'd be interested in seeing a XEP for :)

I would omit the message type (it defaults to 'normal') and just put
your XML inside the message instead of a <body/>. Unless you have
something transactional (request/response), in which case use an
<iq/>. It should be pretty straightforward, as you say.

Finally, if this is your first XEP, some handy links:

  - https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0134.html
  - https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0143.html

Best of luck, I look forward to your submission!

Regards,
Matthew