[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Mobile Considerations

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Tue Jul 21 10:51:51 UTC 2015

I think this is a very high-quality submission, and there's no doubt in my
mind that we want this to be a XEP.

However, I expected this to be a (sorely-needed) major edit to XEP-0286,
which I wrote some years ago and has lagged behind the times. For the
record, I'm perfectly happy to completely hand over authorship of that
specification to Sam.

It's not clear that XEP-0286 offers anything particularly worth keeping if
this protoXEP were to be accepted; any discussion about which bits of
XEP-0286 should be kept or removed is something of a moot point, and
secondary to the question of whether we need a new mobile XEP, or just
update the old one (potentially with entirely new text).

I'd be very interested in hearing any opinions on this one. Unless I get a
sense of what the community prefers by the meeting tomorrow, I'll likely
not vote in order to ensure I get a reasonable understanding.