[Standards] Fwd: [Council] Minutes 2015-07-22

Kevin Smith kevin.smith at isode.com
Thu Jul 23 09:23:23 UTC 2015

On 23 Jul 2015, at 08:58, Dave Cridland <dave at cridland.net> wrote:
> > Dave abstains, Fippo, Kev, Lance, Matt to vote on list.
> >

> For the record, I didn't abstain.

He who writes the minutes…

But less flippantly, I think this was an abstention. XEP-0001 uses the word ‘neutral’ to describe a vote of 0, (with +1 being approve and -1 being disapprove, with reasons), and formally stating that you are not voting for or against is, at least by the only dictionary I have to hand, the definition of abstention - meaning a neutral vote is an abstention.

> Advancement requires a majority vote, and Council members also have a veto. I didn't vote for it, but didn't veto it  - I just voted. You could describe it as a vote against (but not a veto). If three of my colleagues vote the same way, it won't pass, lacking the required majority.

But there isn't the opportunity to vote against and not veto, per XEP-0001. One can informally say they don’t like it or have concerns, and formally abstain (0) in the vote, which I think is what this is.

/K