[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: HTTP File Upload

Florian Schmaus flo at geekplace.eu
Mon Jul 27 15:35:56 UTC 2015

On 27.07.2015 17:03, Rick van Rein wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The HTTP upload mechanism hinges on the secrecy of the upload URL.  Any
> client who receives it and accidentally publishes it can convey the
> document.
>
> I would like to point you to an alternative, namely MSRP.

> I am willing to look for the time to write this up in a new XEP-xxxx --
> but only if this is considered sufficiently interesting as an
> alternative to this list.

Happy to see MSRP XEPed. But I don't think that a XEP using MSRP will
ever be an *alternative* to the "HTTP File Upload" XEP, which strives to
be a simple and straightforward XEP that solves a problem with the most
primitive but robust possible approach. Implementing a HTTP upload is
also pretty easy: Most frameworks and platforms ship with a standard
HTTP library.

- Florian