[Standards] XEP-0313 MAM implementation for MUC

Daniel Gultsch daniel at gultsch.de
Fri Jul 31 16:31:28 UTC 2015

Hi,

> We thus think that we need in some way include the room nick in the
> message and only include the real JID if you have the right to access it,
> to preserve the anonymous behaviour of the room. XEP-0045 says: "However,
> the MUC service MUST NOT reveal the sender's real JID to the recipient at
> any time, nor reveal the recipient's real JID to the sender." It is in IQ
> section, but this is a good general principle.
>
> So, I think it may be interesting and more flexible to state that the from
> attribute will contain the room/nick JID and to add a special tag for real
> JID. For consistency, we can reuse the same approach we have for presence
> on non-anonymous room: x tag with xmlns
> http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#user

Yes I had the very same problem when implementing MUC-MAM on the client
side. I had very brief discussions with some people at that time but we
never got to a point where we could actually implement stuff.

Our (or my) conclusions from back then are:

The real jid should be included if the mam requester is the original sender
of that message or if at the time the message was written the mam requester
would have had access to the real jids. (non-anonymous or requester was
admin at that time)
The last one will quite possible be impossible to achieve since you can not
store historic room configurations. So I would suggest to take a more
general / easier approach to send the real jid if the muc was non-anonymous
back then and still is. (That prevents admins from discovering the real jid
retrospectively but thats something we will have to live with I guess)

As for namespaces I would probably reuse XEP-0033: Advanced stanza
addressing http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0033.html

cheers
Daniel

P.S: We really need MUC2 so we don't have to bother about these kind of
problems any more.