[Standards] overlapping specs (was: Re: NEW: XEP-0363 (HTTP File Upload))

Peter Saint-Andre - &yet peter at andyet.net
Fri Oct 9 22:06:44 UTC 2015

On 9/28/15 5:02 PM, Evgeny Khramtsov wrote:
> Thu, 24 Sep 2015 13:10:44 +0300
> PG Stath <pgstath at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> In general I think that XMPP might be missing developers not because
>> features are missing but because of non compatible extensions lists
>> and extension implementations among different libraries, servers and
>> applications.
>
> Totally agreed. As a note, I think the list of deprecated XEPs should be
> revised and a transition mechanism should be developed. The specs are:
> 1) Avatars: XEP-0084 vs XEP-0153

Google didn't implement PEP so we couldn't move beyond XEP-0084. Maybe
we can do that now that Google isn't on the network anymore.

> 2) Time: XEP-0090 vs XEP-0202. Yes, there are still abandoned quite
> popular clients with no support of XEP-0202.

It's hard to solve for abandonware.

> 3) Filetransfer. Tons of specs. The transition might be HTTP
> Upload + jabber:x:oob, until Jingle specs are finalized.

Let's get XEP-0234 to Draft and deprecate the old stuff.

> 4) MUC. Inventing MUC2 will result in the similar problems. The
> transition will be painful due to MUC complexity.

True. Let's try to do things better this time. That involves deprecating
the old specs more quickly.

https://andyet.com/