[Standards] On 'private' and 'no-copy'

Matthew Wild mwild1 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 21:58:39 UTC 2015

After various discussions, including here at the summit, I'm seeing a
rough consensus that the <private/> element in Carbons or the
~equivalent <no-copy/> hint in XEP-0334 cause more trouble than they
are worth.

The only use-case I've been able to find is preventing OTR messages
from being received by clients that cannot decrypt them. It is
debateable whether receiving garbage is worse than not knowing that
someone is trying to contact you on another resource.

As the elements are basically only a workaround for OTR, and OTR is a
hack, and OTR has its own methods to solve this issue, one could argue
that we shouldn't be using these elements.

Does anyone have strong feelings about this?

Regards,
Matthew

PS. I don't want to get this discussion tangled up with the
advancement of Carbons, right now I'd rather just determine whether
these elements are useful or not.