[Standards] Deprecating Privacy Lists

Ben Langfeld ben at langfeld.me
Mon Oct 12 19:04:43 UTC 2015

On 12 October 2015 at 15:54, Evgeny Khramtsov <xramtsov at gmail.com> wrote:

> Mon, 12 Oct 2015 15:39:38 -0300
> Ben Langfeld <ben at langfeld.me> wrote:
>
> > On 12 October 2015 at 14:28, Evgeny Khramtsov <xramtsov at gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> > > This is a very funny question from you. Because whatever one says
> > > can be opposed with "you're not a customer" argument.
> > >

> > You've misunderstood what I've said. My opposition is not to ideas,
> > it's to the entitled way in which people put them forward. Ideas are
> > great; demanding that someone execute them for you is not.
>
> I think your position is hard to understand because you're juggling
> with the words. One can treat "Do not deprecate privacy lists" as an
> idea and it also can be treated as a demand depending on a person.

What I read was:

"We want to deprecate Privacy Lists because we think it's a bad spec."
"You'll have to write a good spec first!"
"A good spec would be nice. Do you (or anyone else in the community) fancy
helping write one?"
"No! You (XSF council / mystical XEP-writing fairies) have to do it. Don't
you dare deprecate Privacy Lists!"
"Yeah, developers shouldn't have to write specs. That's the project
manager's job. Developers just translate specs into code."

But I think my point has been made fairly clearly now and we've used up a
lot of screen space on a thread which I'm sure Sam had hoped would go more
smoothly. Sorry Sam, just on something of a crusade against entitlement
recently!