[Standards] Fwd: [Council] Minutes 20151014

Goffi goffi at goffi.org
Sat Oct 17 10:55:50 UTC 2015

Le vendredi 16 octobre 2015, 15:08:18 Kevin Smith a écrit :
> FYI
>
> > Begin forwarded message:
> >
> > From: Kevin Smith
> > Date: 16 October 2015 at 15:06:51 BST
> > To: XMPP Council
> > Subject: [Council] Minutes 20151014
> >
> > 1) Roll call
> > Kev, Lance, Fippo, Dave present. Matt absent (it later transpired he’d
> > tried to send apologies and failed)
> >
> > 2) Website review
> >
> > Dave asked everyone to review all the technical content on
> > http://new.xmpp.org/ for correctness

The new website looks great, congrats ! I'm just wondering if "The most secure
messaging protocol" and "Privacy-focused" is suitable when we still don't have
a good popular solution for end to end encryption. I know there is work on
Axolotl/Omemo which fixes some stuff but:
1) it's not standardised yet
2) it seems to be focusing on chat
3) it encodes the <body> element instead of the whole stanza

We still lack a popular end to end full stanza encryption solution.

Is it possible to have a focus on end 2 end encryption for the Fosdem XMPP
summit ? It's a long time issue in XMPP, and I don't think we can claim "the
most secure messaging protocol" without this fixed.

Thanks
Goffi