[Standards] Call for Experience: Advancement of XEP-0301 (In-Band Real Time Text) to Final

Christian Schudt christian.schudt at gmx.de
Sat Oct 24 21:33:45 UTC 2015

Hello,

> 1. What software has implemented XEP-0301? Please note that the protocol
> must be implemented in at least two separate codebases (at least one of which must be free or open-source software) in order to advance from Draft to Final. [1]

I’ve implemented it in Babbler Java client library. As Lance mentioned, there are also at least two other implementations.

> 2. Have developers experienced any problems with the protocol as defined
> in XEP-0301? If so, please describe the problems and, if possible,
> suggested solutions.

Generating action elements from two strings (i.e. the „diff") was a bit more complicated as expected from reading § 7.3.1. I suggested to Mark, if pseudo code could be helpful, but I heard it’s discouraged to use in XEPs.

> 3. Is the text of XEP-0301 clear and unambiguous? Are more examples
> needed? Is the conformance language (MAY/SHOULD/MUST) appropriate? Have
> developers found the text confusing at all? Please describe any
> suggestions you have for improving the text.

XEP-0301 is one of the best written XEP out there (and I’ve read most of them and implemented many)! It is very comprehensive and generally feels well-thought-out and high quality. Development was fun and mostly straight forward. Congrats to the authors, good work!
There are a few minor issues, I stumbled over though:

1. The tracking of RTT messages confused me. § 4.7 states „MUST track per-contact“. For me: contact == bare JID. Later it also says: MAY track per full JID.

2. Deactivating RTT: It can be done for every contact individually, right? Furthermore the spec does not state, if senders, who deactivate RTT while typing, MAY/SHOULD/MUST NOT send further RTT elements or if they at least may finish their current RTT message.
I did not understand, when a sender deactivates RTT, why the recipient should do so as well ("Stop transmitting <rtt/> elements as well“).

3. The incorrect XML schema (Mark has already sent a mail about it)

4. Encryption:
Is there any security concern, if the <body> is encrypted, while the <rtt/> is not?
It also mentions XEP-0027 as deprecated, although it’s "obsolete“.

5. Should referenced/dependent XEPs (especially XEP-308) be Final before this one becomes Final?

— Christian