[Standards] Presence Request

Kim Alvefur zash at zash.se
Mon Apr 11 11:37:59 UTC 2016

On 2016-04-09 12:16, Vaibhav Ranglani wrote:
> Is there a way where we can club presence requests in a single packet?
>
> Example I need to send presence subscribe requests to multiple users.
> a packet like
> <presence to="<jid1>,<jid2>,<jid3>" type="subscribe" />
>
> The server software implementing this could forward the requests to the
> individual clients. This could eventually save a lot of bandwidth as well.

Do you really send so many subscription requests so often that this is
where you want to optimize your bandwidth use?

I don't see how during normal IM use that you would add a large batch of
contacts more than one time (when you create the account), to justify
this kind of optimization.

Side note, XEP-33 isn't going to save you that much, something like 6
bytes per JID if you send 17 or more. But if you think that's worth the
added complexity, go for it.  And you need server support for it.

--
Kim "Zash" Alvefur