[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Explicit Message Encryption

Florian Schmaus flo at geekplace.eu
Mon Aug 22 07:58:13 UTC 2016

On 17.08.2016 20:48, Emmanuel Gil Peyrot wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 01:31:28PM -0500, Sam Whited wrote:
>> Having the name be an attribute doesn't seem very friendly to me. What
>> if I want it in a different language or locale? How do RTL languages
>> work? Even if we assume everything is always English, what if my text
>> doesn't work well with all names "an [OTR] encrypted message" works
>> fine, but "an [PGP] encrypted message" does not where the bracketed
>> word is substituted.
>>
>> I'd leave off the name attribute entirely; it's not necessary.
>
> The rationale for the presence of this name attribute is to have a
> placeholder in case the client doesn’t know anything about the
> encryption method in question.

The name metadata should either be qualified by a lang or simply be
removed. I feel like removing is the right thing: Clients/Libraries
either know the encryption mechanism by its namespace, and are possible
able to tell the user to install a certain plugin to enable the
encryption mechanism. And otherwise they could simply say "The received
message was encrypted with an unknown mechanism (jabber:x:encrypted)".

That said: I really like the EME XEP.

- Florian