[Standards] XEP-0375 (XMPP Compliance Suites 2016) clarification

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Sun Aug 28 19:57:11 UTC 2016

On 28 August 2016 at 20:34, Mathieu Pasquet <mathieui at mathieui.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 02:22:48PM +0000, XMPP Extensions Editor wrote:
>> Version 0.3 of XEP-0375 (XMPP Compliance Suites 2016) has been released.
>>
>> Abstract:
>>       This document defines XMPP protocol compliance levels for 2016.
>>

>> Changelog: [See revision history] (ssw)
>>
>> Diff: http://xmpp.org/extensions/diff/api/xep/0375/diff/0.2/vs/0.3

> Hi,
>
> Could we get a footnote for User Avatar saying that clients having
> specific restrictions (e.g. console clients like poezio, profanity,
> mcabber, freetalk…, or dedicated clients, for example if someone makes a
> client for blind people) do not have to implement it? It is obviously
> possible to implement with some quirks, but much less relevant to the
> users’ needs.

If a typical user wanted an XMPP client, they'd want graphical
avatars. Poezio (and mcabber, profanity, etc) are all great clients,
but they're quite obviously niche clients, and I worry that building
in exceptions might end up with a horribly slippery slope.

That said, I take your point, and I don't want to exclude these
clients entirely either if we can come up with some sane language.

> Also I would replace in the specific sentence “Only one of the
> recommended providers must be implemented for compliance. ”, the use of
> “must”, with “needs to”. Otherwise one could confuse it with having a
> limitation of one provider for the service.

Perhaps "a minimum of one" ...?