[Standards] XEP-0356 (Privileged Entity)

Goffi goffi at goffi.org
Tue Aug 30 20:06:26 UTC 2016

Hello Brian and thanks for your feedback.

The idea behind presence permission was only to know when somebody is on/
offline, thinking in the point of view of an external PEP service (for
presence access model).

I'm not against the idea of using XEP-0297 here, but I'm a bit worring about
the traffic overhead: business rules §7.2 try to limit it by recommanding to
send presence only once.
If you want to check the initial destinee, you would need to send every
presence received instead of one per sending entity (i.e. if romeo is in the
roster of 1000 people, the privileged entity will received 1000 stanzas
instead of one).

So I'm not sure it really worth it, do you have a concrete use case for this?

regards
Goffi