[Standards] Markdown in XMPP IM

Ashley Ward ashley.ward at surevine.com
Wed Jan 6 17:43:57 UTC 2016

> On 6 Jan 2016, at 16:28, Goffi <goffi at goffi.org> wrote:
>
> Le mercredi 6 janvier 2016, 15:29:31 Peter Waher a écrit :
>
>>> Alternatively, if it's just about easier input, support Markdown on
>>> the sending side and use XHTML-IM. I don't think we really need more
>>> ways of formatting messages.
>>
>> You would not be able to recover the markdown this way, which might be of
>> interest (see my response earlier).
>
> Actually we do recover Markdown from XHTML. Of course you can have some loss;
> but in practice it's working pretty well (you can test on our demo:
> https://libervia.org, choose markdown in settings/parameters/composition)
>
> Markdown is not standardized, and there will probably always be different
> flavours, I don't think it fit with XMPP, and it should definitely be a client
> only feature and not in a XEP in my opinion.

I’m sure this must have been discussed and dismissed before, but would adding a some kind of content/MIME type attribute to the body help at all? That way a client can stick markdown or yaml or whatever the flavour of the day is into the body, give it a type, and then the receiving client can then decide whether it can/wants to render that type nicely or just display it as plain text?

I suppose the problem is then that it might encourage people to stick non-textual content into the body too - base64 encoded binaries, etc.

Maybe having a separate “rich body” element might work, which can contain markdown, yaml, rich text, etc?

Just some thoughts...

—
Ash