[Standards] Markdown in XMPP IM

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Wed Jan 6 19:29:49 UTC 2016

On 6 January 2016 at 18:04, Travis Burtrum <travis at burtrum.org> wrote:

> On 01/06/2016 12:53 PM, Ashley Ward wrote:
> > <content-type xmlns=“xmpp:contenttype:0”>text/x-markdown</content-type>
>
> Except markdown means nothing, there is no standard, and no common
> implementation.

This is sort of true. The IETF attempt at addressing this is here:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-appsawg-text-markdown-12

Of note is that it doesn't try to assume that there is one true markdown,
but instead assumes a variety of variants that are somewhat mutually
intelligible.

> I love markdown, but just because your markdown converts with your tool
> to a format you want, doesn't mean anyone else can get that same output
> with any other tool.
>
> I'd think to standardize this as a XEP you'd want to specify a specific
> markdown standard, the only one I know of being CommonMark.

I'd be OK with having a namespaced attribute on the <body/> indicating
markdown (with optional variant); the fallback to text seems reasonable
enough.

Ash's suggestion of an additional marker element is probably easier for
most implementations to handle, though.

Not particularly keen on an alternate body, since the only thing I can
think of to sensibly degrade Markdown into is its source anyway.