[Standards] Markdown in XMPP IM

Ashley Ward ashley.ward at surevine.com
Wed Jan 6 20:22:22 UTC 2016

> On 6 Jan 2016, at 19:29, Dave Cridland <dave at cridland.net> wrote:
>

> Ash's suggestion of an additional marker element is probably easier for most implementations to handle, though.
>
> Not particularly keen on an alternate body, since the only thing I can think of to sensibly degrade Markdown into is its source anyway.

Agreed. Markdown/yaml/whatever (and in theory all the “text/*” content types) are readable as plain text (so entirely appropriate for a message body). The hint is there to tell clients that might be able to do a better rendition “hey, this text body here is actually markdown” and give them an opportunity to render it nicely if they can.

I’m happy to knock up a Content Type Hint ProtoXEP if anyone thinks it might be useful.

—
Ash