[Standards] Markdown in XMPP IM

Sam Whited sam at samwhited.com
Wed Jan 6 20:45:51 UTC 2016

I'd actually be very much against this approach; having a hint as to
the type of content sounds find, but making it this generic just means
that no two clients will ever display the same things, support the
same formats, etc. You'll end up with clients sending restructured
text to everyone that looks ugly when it's not rendered in other
clients.

Client interoperability is one of XMPP's biggest challenges, and in my
opinion this will just make the situation worse (even if it is just
formatting).

If anything we should define a small microformat that looks good
formatted or in plain text (which could just be a specific Markdown
flavor minus the raw HTML stuff) and mandate that all clients that
support the spec use that one format.

Best,
Sam

On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 2:22 PM, Ashley Ward <ashley.ward at surevine.com> wrote:

>> On 6 Jan 2016, at 19:29, Dave Cridland <dave at cridland.net> wrote:
>>

>> Ash's suggestion of an additional marker element is probably easier for most implementations to handle, though.
>>
>> Not particularly keen on an alternate body, since the only thing I can think of to sensibly degrade Markdown into is its source anyway.
>
> Agreed. Markdown/yaml/whatever (and in theory all the “text/*” content types) are readable as plain text (so entirely appropriate for a message body). The hint is there to tell clients that might be able to do a better rendition “hey, this text body here is actually markdown” and give them an opportunity to render it nicely if they can.
>
> I’m happy to knock up a Content Type Hint ProtoXEP if anyone thinks it might be useful.
>
>> Ash

Sam Whited
pub 4096R/54083AE104EA7AD3
https://blog.samwhited.com