[Standards] OX (OpenPGP for XMPP): A new OpenPGP XEP

Matthieu Rakotojaona matthieu.rakotojaona at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 13:09:11 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 6:34 PM, Sergei Golovan <sgolovan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Also, I'm a bit concerned about using XMPP server to synchronize
> user's private key. Isn't it too dangerous to keep private key somwhere
> on the internet? I've always thought that one always keeps his
> private key on a controlled computers.

An XMPP server doesn't have to be on the internet, it can very well be
running on your LAN so that your desktop computer and your smartphone
synchronize their keys. You also have to keep in mind that the secret
key is always encrypted, even though that may not be enough for you

Moreover this XEP, like other XEPs, only specifies a way to do it with
XMPP, so that implementations can talk to each other. If you don't
want to use it, you don't have to.

--
Matthieu RAKOTOJAONA