[Standards] XEP-0314 Security Labelling in Pubsub

Ashley Ward ashley.ward at surevine.com
Tue Jan 12 10:51:35 UTC 2016

> On 12 Jan 2016, at 10:14, Dave Cridland <dave at cridland.net> wrote:
>
> What I'd prefer is that we make it a (negotiated) child of the <item/>. So that's what I've actually written.
>
> The reasons we didn't go this route were because the <item/> element contains only one element, the payload. I'm thinking that - with negotiation - we allow subsequent elements to be metadata (and in this case, a security label element).
>
> I have a feeling this is how it started out.

That’s exactly how it was at first, until someone pointed out that the <item/> element only allowed a single child. I agree that this is a much nicer and simpler way to attach the label to the payload assuming that xep-0060 can be updated to allow for this (i.e the semantics for the <item/> element - the first element is the payload, subsequent elements are metadata).

—
Ash