[Standards] Markdown in XMPP IM

Dumaine, Xander Xander.Dumaine at inin.com
Fri Jan 15 14:47:35 UTC 2016

Adding my voice, as Interactive Intelligence PureCloud uses markdown chat over XMPP in both web and mobile clients.

I talked this over with my team, and we’re pretty much unanimously against the idea of adding a separate content element for a couple reasons: for a priori formatting, we can use XHTML generated by the clients. Otherwise, sending markdown in the body is great, because unsupporting clients can still render the message, whereas with the separate content element, the spec would also have to add support checking, which makes, as Sam said, client interoperability difficult especially in MUC - we’d have to add both the content element as well as the body, with the contents of each duplicated, just to support clients that don’t support the feature, effectively rendering it useless.

Using the hint seems to have good merits to us, because it allows us to accept messages using alternate flavors of markdown, or (in the case of our web hooks service/bot that posts messages for JIRA tickets which use some sort of arcane markdown alternative) some proprietary format that we can render appropriately, and until the client specifically uses that format, it simply falls back to rendering as plaintext (or whatever it chooses to parse messages as by default).