[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Content Types in Messages

Goffi goffi at goffi.org
Wed Jan 20 08:33:46 UTC 2016

Le mardi 19 janvier 2016, 16:49:22 XMPP Extensions Editor a écrit :

> Title: Content Types in Messages
>
> Abstract: This specification describes a generic method whereby content in
> messages can be tagged as having a specific Internet Content Type. It also
> provides a method for sending the same content using different content
> types, as a fall-back mechanism when communicating between clients having
> different content type support.

Hello,

I still think this XEP is a false good idea, as I said in last week
discussion. Here are the main reasons:

	- there are already a couple of projects using markdown through the
standardized XHTML-IM. With this XEP, we'll have some markdown in a <content>
element, some converted in XHTML-IM, which one should I use?

	- mardown is not a standard, and the only tentative to standardize it
(CommonMark) is not popular for the moment (not even sure of its status at
all)

	- even if a standard was there, there are and will probably always be
different flavours. In other terms, every client will tend to have slightly
different rendering, in the opposition of what XMPP currently offers or try to
offers (same thing on each screen in the same order).

	- beside markdown, other syntaxes will be used, each client having its
favorite one. This will bring more fragmentation

	- today we have 2 types contents: plain text and rich (XHTML-IM). I don't
see any reason to add on extra one, or at least a syntax which translate
trivially to XHTML is not a good reason to add a new content for me.

	- XHTML/XHTML-IM being XML, so using the same kind of parser that what is
already used for XMPP, it seems the natural option for rich content. If the
goal of all this is to edit markdown, we do convert XHTML => markdown, and
it's working reasonably well, specially for the limited set of elements that
we have in XHTML-IM

	- I would rather see markdown put as text content (without hint or
anything), than having extra elements with any possible syntax.

In addition I wonder what is the point of this? For instant messaging, it's
not common to edit text, or with last message correction (and client can keep
the last message original syntax in cache trivially). Why not doing the
conversion markdown => XHTML-IM client side before sending the message?

For blogging, it's more natural to use XHTML, and anyway this XEP doesn't
cover the case (blogging use PubSub, not messages).

Regards
Goffi