[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: JID Mention

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Wed Jan 20 16:19:52 UTC 2016

On 19 January 2016 at 16:48, XMPP Extensions Editor <editor at xmpp.org> wrote:

> Title: JID Mention
>
> Abstract: This specification provides a way for an entity to mention a jid

No, it doesn't. It provides a way to notify an entity that its jid has been
mentioned.

I don't know if you've considered this, but currently the "other end" of
the mention has no markup, and so would be performed by string matching
either in the client or the server. Both are frail, and subject to
mismatches (or typos causing no match at all).

I wonder if having a corresponding <mentions/> in a message (or post) might
be the answer?

My gut feeling - which may well be wrong - is that the two halves
(mentioning and notifying about it) would be better placed in the same XEP.