[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: JID Mention

Goffi goffi at goffi.org
Wed Jan 20 16:43:54 UTC 2016

Hi Dave,

Le mercredi 20 janvier 2016, 16:19:52 Dave Cridland a écrit :

> I don't know if you've considered this, but currently the "other end" of
> the mention has no markup, and so would be performed by string matching
> either in the client or the server. Both are frail, and subject to
> mismatches (or typos causing no match at all).

I'm not sure to understand, the "matching syntax" is let to the client
implementation on purpose (see section 4.1), as I don't want to enforce
"@nick" syntax because it's the fashion today (but clients can use it if they
want to).

as I imagine it, if a user wants to mention an other user in a blog or a
conversation, it can press @ (or use a menu, or anything), then the client
show a list of potential contacts, then the message is sent with the <mention>
element. The mentioned entity receive the message and check the from attribute
(or the <author> element). I don't see where string matching is needed.

But maybe I misunderstood your point. By "other end" are talking about the
mentioned entity or the mentioning entity?

++
Goffi