[Standards] Regarding changes to XEP-0077: In-Band Registration

vaibhav singh vaibhavsinghacads at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 03:19:29 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I am a newbie software developer who recently started looking into XMPP
XEP's. In Band registration was something that caught my eye, as the XEP
itself said that it is utterly insecure and recommended people not to use
it.

I had some questions I had to clarify:
1.) Is there anything else people can use in XMPP to bootstrap users
quickly, apart from in-band registration?

2.) If in-band registration is so insecure, and (from the looks of it) so
important (atleast a really good feature to have) why are there no
alternative work flows people can use?

3.) If there is no simple alternative to In Band Registration, I can
probable try to create an Internet Draft for an alternative protocol, or
maybe suggest some changes to the existing work flow. Can someone describe
to me concisely how to go about suggesting changes to an existing XEP/
writing an Internet Draft?

Sorry If this is not the correct place to ask these questions, as I said I
am new to XMPP and to the whole RFC and XEP environment in general.

Regards,
Vaibhav Singh