[Standards] UPDATED: XEP-0313 (Message Archive Management)

Matthew Wild mwild1 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 10:41:59 UTC 2016

On 12 June 2016 at 12:39, Daniel Gultsch <daniel at gultsch.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm bumping this thread since it hasn't yielded too many responses since I
> originally voiced my concerns.
>
> To briefly summarize the matter again.
> 1) XEP-0313 Section 5.1.2 describes a way for a server to inject the
> original / real jid into MUC messages.
> 2) This is a very useful addition to the spec in principal, however…
> 3) As a client I can't trust this information without a namespace bump.
>
> This means I would love to implement this in my client but I can't.
>
> So I would strongly suggest to bump the namespace on MAM ASAP. However
> bumping namespaces is not something we should do lightly and we should
> consider doing other changes as well like the stanza-ids that have been
> proposed over a year ago and are generally considered a good idea?

I have a new version of XEP-0313 nearly ready to submit. One of the
open questions is whether to bump the namespace or not. I was
originally leaning towards not. However, if we do, there are some
extra small improvements we can make. I'll review your concerns (which
weren't already on my list of issues until now, so thanks for
re-raising them), and merge them into the new revision (which I'm
expecting to be the last before Draft).

Meanwhile if anyone else has an opinion on this to share, now is the time.

Regards,
Matthew