[Standards] LAST CALL: XEP-0280 (Message Carbons)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Wed Jun 22 15:42:18 UTC 2016

On 6/14/16 7:26 AM, Kim Alvefur wrote:
> On 2015-08-13 22:18, XMPP Extensions Editor wrote:
>> This message constitutes notice of a Last Call for comments on XEP-0280 (Message Carbons).
>
> Friendly inquiry regarding the status of this LC.

The Council is voting. In fact, all of the other Council members have
voted +1. Here are my substantive comments (I also noticed a few typos)...

1. The recommended error conditions could be a bit clearer. For example,
§4.1 says to use <not-allowed/> if a request comes from a client that is
not hosted on this server, but §5 says to use <not-allowed/> if a client
tries to disable another client's Carbons. Some harmonization is needed.

2. Given the widespread deployment of messaging services that are
centered on groupchat (e.g., Slack and HipChat), it seems shortsighted
to specify this rule:

    A <message/> is not eligible for carbons delivery if it is
    determined to have been sent by a MUC room or service, even if it
    would be otherwise eligible (this also includes private messages
    from MUC participants).

The first version of this spec was published in 2010 and the messaging
landscape has changed since then; does this rule still make sense?

3. §10.3 uses the term "forked messages", but that term is not used
elsewhere. I suggest that we call these carbon copies or (as in §11)
forwarded copies.

I can provide a pull request to address these issues.

Thanks!