[Standards] LAST CALL: XEP-0280 (Message Carbons)

Tobias Markmann tmarkmann at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 22 15:48:12 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 5:42 PM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im>
wrote:

> 2. Given the widespread deployment of messaging services that are centered
> on groupchat (e.g., Slack and HipChat), it seems shortsighted to specify
> this rule:
>
>    A <message/> is not eligible for carbons delivery if it is
>    determined to have been sent by a MUC room or service, even if it
>    would be otherwise eligible (this also includes private messages
>    from MUC participants).
>
> The first version of this spec was published in 2010 and the messaging
> landscape has changed since then; does this rule still make sense?

I've recently implemented Message Carbons for Swift and tested it quite a
bit, including PMs. In the case of MUC, Message Carbons is not required
because the MUC service already fans out the messages. If all your
resources are in the MUC room under the same nickname, i.e. as
multi-session nickname (MSN), then all session will get all MUC and all PM
messages, only outgoing messages need to be carbon copied in the case of
MUC PMs.

Cheers,
Tobi