[Standards] LAST CALL: XEP-0280 (Message Carbons)

Sam Whited sam at samwhited.com
Thu Jun 23 14:02:13 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 2:49 AM, Florian Schmaus <flo at geekplace.eu> wrote:
> I also still think that we should clarify somewhere if the carbons state
> is kept after a stream resumption or not [1]. Not sure if the right
> place for this would be xep280 or xep198.

I think the place for this is in Stream Management (0198) Looking
beyond carbons, the act of resuming a stream should not change the
properties of that stream (in my mind). We should effectively be
"picking up where we left off", which would include features that were
negotiated inside the stream (like carbons). This does mean that the
client and the server both have to maintain state during a
reconnection event, but that doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

Of course, there's no harm in mentioning it explicitly in carbons as
well for the sake of clarity as long as we're sure it doesn't conflict
with anything in SM, but I don't think it's strictly necessary.

—Sam

--
Sam Whited
pub 4096R/54083AE104EA7AD3