[Standards] XEP-0308: Last Message Correction and Carbons

Dumaine, Xander Xander.Dumaine at inin.com
Tue Sep 20 17:18:11 UTC 2016

While I can understand the use case, I also believe it’s low value compared to potentially negative consequences. I think at most this could change from MUST to SHOULD in order to encourage the full-jid restriction, and prevent the can of worms from opening too far, but allowing the use case for implementations that choose to allow the use case.

Thanks,
Xander Dumaine

On September 20, 2016 at 2:09:18 AM, Georg Lukas (georg at op-co.de<mailto:georg at op-co.de>) wrote:

* Tobias M <tmarkmann at googlemail.com> [2016-09-16 13:41]:
> What would speak for allowing edits across resources:

+1 for allowing this use case. I think it would improve the consistency
of the XMPP UX, and increase user confidence.

> Another case is where a server sends different carbons messages to different resources. Some think allowing cross-resource corrections will open a can of worms.

I think that LMC is already a huge can of worms, and should be treated
accordingly by clients. If your client B sees a different message from
what you sent from client A, and you LMC that message on B, you are
probably already aware of the differences.

Georg