[Standards] XEP-0369 (MIX) - Approach to options for per-user preferences

Kevin Smith kevin.smith at isode.com
Mon Sep 26 10:56:45 UTC 2016

On 21 Sep 2016, at 16:21, Steve Kille <steve.kille at isode.com> wrote:
> The sort of thing I am looking to avoid is where the server provides the
> user with a form to fill in.

By standardising common fields, we can avoid form requests in the common case without forcing clients to do the request dance (the same approach we took with MAM). Clients don’t have to implement anything other than the required fields, so don’t have any additional complexity, and for servers the only additional enforced complexity is returning a form when requested, which seems trivial. I don’t think we need to avoid forms in this instance, as the complexity is optional.

/K