[Standards] XEP-0369 (MIX) - approach to Channel invitation

Steve Kille steve.kille at isode.com
Tue Sep 27 08:30:49 UTC 2016

I have been considering the best approach to channel invites.

There are a couple of options in the current draft, one using one token and
one using two.

These approaches seem quite complex to me, and I am wondering if there is a
simpler approach.

A common situation will be where the invitee is allowed to join the channel,
typically because the MUC is open, or the invitee's domain is allowed (e.g.,
for a channel internal to an organization).   This can be easily supported
by a simple message from inviter to invitee.

A more complex situation is where the invitee does not have permission to
join a channel.  For an invitation to be viable, the inviter needs to have
rights to grant the invitee permission.  This might be because the inviter
has administrative rights on the channel, or the channel has a policy that
participants can invite new participants.

A simple approach to address this more complex scenario is a two-step
approach where the inviter starts by sending a message to the channel to
grant the invitee rights to join the channel and then sends a simple invite
to the invitee.

This seems much simpler than the current descriptions of passing tokens
around, and is to my mind a preferable approach.  Is there a requirement
that I am missing, which needs the token passing approach?

Steve