[Standards] XEP-0392: Consistent Color Generation - Issues using JID

Georg Lukas georg at op-co.de
Mon Dec 4 07:29:54 UTC 2017

* Jonas Wielicki <jonas at wielicki.name> [2017-11-24 09:13]:
> So I now tend to use the nickname instead of the JID in MUCs. Does anyone have
> objections?

My first gut feeling was to only use the bare JID in non-anon MUCs (as
opposed to "when it's known"), which would solve most of the consistency
problems - except for the one with IRC transports using different server
names in the JID.

I'm sure the IRC transport problem can be resolved by using an ircnet
tag instead of the explicit server name to ensure JID consistency (which
has other significant benefits like roster-ability of frequently used
contacts).

However, after thinking some more about this, I'd rather have the color
only depend on the nickname and not on the JID - if somebody is using
different nicknames, this is probably on purpose and should be honored
by the client. This then only leaves open the (in)consistency problem
between private messages and MUCs, which I currently "solve" by using a
fixed palette for private chats.

Georg