[Standards] UPDATED: XEP-0363 (HTTP File Upload)

Jonas Wielicki jonas at wielicki.name
Tue Dec 5 11:28:01 UTC 2017

On Dienstag, 5. Dezember 2017 12:47:51 CET Evgeny Khramtsov wrote:
> Tue, 05 Dec 2017 10:31:36 +0100
>
> Jonas Wielicki <jonas at wielicki.name> wrote:
> > I don’t think that’s ok. ejabberd would violate the expectation of
> > the user that either a type="result" or type="error" is returned, if
> > they simply filter out the "erroneous" stanza.
>
> Obviously ejabberd replies with a correct error message, currently it
> will send an error stanza with diagnostic text, e.g.: "Unknown tag
> <retry/> qualified by namespace 'urn:xmpp:http:upload:0'"

But <retry/> is in an error stanza.

The flow is like this:

1. Client sends iq to HTTP upload service.
2. Clients quota is exceeded, so HTTP upload service replies with type="error"
including the <retry/> element.
3. What happens now if ejabberd doesn’t know the <retry/> element? Who gets
the error? Does the client receive an error for their upload request, or will
they time out while waiting for their reply?

kind regards,
Jonas