[Standards] 2017-11-29 XMPP Council Meeting Minutes

Kevin Smith kevin.smith at isode.com
Wed Dec 6 12:28:05 UTC 2017

On 29 Nov 2017, at 16:42, Jonas Wielicki <jonas at wielicki.name> wrote:

> Present: Dave (Chair), Kevin, Georg, Daniel, Sam
> Minutes: Yours truly.
>
> Chat logs: http://logs.xmpp.org/council/2017-11-29#15:55:08
>

> 1. XEP-0387 (Compliance Suites 2018), vote to move to Draft
>
> The Last Call expired at 2017-11-15. Kevin objects that the Council may have
> to re-issue the Last Call because the current Last Call was issued by the
> previous Council and no decision on advancement was made subsequently.
>
> Since it is not clear that there is any process requiring Council to do so and
> no value is seen in re-issuing the LC, no new LC is issued and the vote is on
> advancement to Draft.

I note that this isn’t quite right - the process here is that a new LC is required (as I noted in the meeting).

The reason given in XEP-0001 (I had the rule swapped in, but not the reason, at the time) is that previous Council may have not given feedback publicly (because they have their say in Council), and the new LC gives the previous Council a chance to publicly express opinions to inform new Council’s votes.

On that basis, I do feel like we should probably do things properly and re-issue the LC, so I’m -1 on advancement without that step.

/K