[Standards] XEP-0392: Consistent Color Generation - Issues using JID

Jonas Wielicki jonas at wielicki.name
Fri Dec 8 09:25:04 UTC 2017

On Freitag, 8. Dezember 2017 10:00:33 CET Marcel Waldvogel wrote:
> I came upon one more ambiguity in the "same JID, different hash/color"
> domain
> First, what I already mentioned, is case: The JID must be mapped to a
> consistent case; I would suggest lower.

Isn’t that mandated anyways by RFC 7622 for "comparing" JIDs (which this is, I
think)? Surely I can add a reference that RFC 7622 normalisation must be
applied before hashing.

> Second, the hash also depends on the Normalization Form applied. I
> would suggest NFC, which is recommended anyway for XML.
> It would be great if that could also be specified (or at least
> referenced) in the XEP.

I think the unicode normalization form which is to be used is also covered by
RFC 7622, even though maybe only implicitly in PRECIS. Luckily, it is NFC :-).

Adding a note that the RFC 7622 rules for Comparison need to be applied before
hashing probably makes sense.

kind regards,
Jonas