[Standards] XEP-0392: Consistent Color Generation - Issues using JID

Sam Whited sam at samwhited.com
Fri Dec 8 15:03:23 UTC 2017

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017, at 08:17, Marcel Waldvogel wrote:
> As JIDs are supposed to be case-preserving, I would expect several
> implementations do not downcase them first.

This is incorrect. Per RFC 7622 the localpart of a JID uses the
UsernameCaseMapped profile of PRECIS defined in RFC 8265 which requires
use of the Unicode toLower operation, the domainpart of course follows
normal IDNA2008 rules, and the resourcepart uses the Nickname profile of
PRECIS defined in RFC 8266 which also uses toLower.
—Sam